Harrison is a not-for-profit community medical center with origins dating back to the flu epidemic of 1918. Today, it is the region’s busiest medical center, with four campuses—Bremerton, Silverdale, Port Orchard, and Belfair—serving Kitsap, north Mason, Jefferson, and Clallam counties.
Harrison offers a comprehensive range of services, such as: cardiology, including open-heart surgery; orthopaedics; oncology; women & children and pediatrics; urgent care; imaging services; laser, laparoscopic, and retinal surgery; sleep services; and rehabilitation.
Harrison provides emergency services at Bremerton and Silverdale, and urgent care services at Port Orchard and Belfair, treating more than 90,000 patients annually. We are a Level III Trauma Center and one of the busiest emergency departments in the region. Patient wait times in our emergency departments are among the lowest in the state and our patient satisfaction scores are among the highest.
More than 17,000 patients are admitted to Harrison each year and more than 2,100 babies are born annually at our Women's & Children's Center. Nearly 13,000 surgeries are performed each year at Harrison facilities.
May—Harrison breaks ground on a three-story Orthopaedic Hospital on the Silverdale campus. The $25 million facility, which will be built in two phases, will include 24 private patient rooms, four operating rooms, and shelled-in space on the third floor for a second-phase expansion.
May—Harrison launches its "I promise." campaign. The campaign spotlights employees and their promises to the hospital and community.
April—Harrison partners with Hospice of Kitsap County. As the area's first and only locally incorporated hospice care provider, Hospice of Kitsap County remains committed to working in concert with local doctors and other health care providers to meet the needs of this community.
January—Harrison opens a renovated dining and food court on the Bremerton campus. The new 8,000-square-foot dining area features expanded dining area equipped with multiple televisions and a patient-tracking monitor. The 1,825-square-foot food court is a full service (and energy efficient) area equipped with user-friendly appliances serving your choice of deli specials, pasta dishes, Asian stir fry, and western-style cuisine with a large assortment of beverages.
December—Harrison receives Cardiac Level 1 and Stroke Level 2 designations.
December—Harrison's coordinated program of identifying and treating stroke patients earns the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's Get with the Guidelines® Stroke Bronze Quality Achievement Award.
December—Renovations on Harrison’s ICU waiting room completed.
October—Upgrade of technology and renovation completed on Harrison’s Nuclear Medicine department.
October—Harrison joins forces with Peninsula Orthopedic Associates, The Doctors Clinic and WestSound Orthopaedics to establish The Orthopaedic Alliance on the Peninsula to better care for our patients.
September—Harrison earns the Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement designation by Regence BlueShield in Washington, recognizing outstanding surgical outcomes for patients.
September—Consumer Reports ranks Harrison HealthPartners Cardiothoracic Surgery the best in Washington state.
July—Harrison opens an outpatient CardioPulmonary Rehabilitation center.
June—Harrison offers health and wellness services at the Haselwood Family YMCA in Silverdale. This exciting new partnership is designed to promote overall wellness and encourage our community members to develop healthier lifestyles.
April—Harrison HealthPartners Internal Medicine & Adult Primary Care opens in the Cascade View building in Poulsbo.
April—Harrison becomes a member of the WA Cares Cancer Partnership representing the West Sound.
March—Harrison Belfair is awarded Business of the Year by the North Mason Chamber of Commerece.
November—Harrison launches website focusing on Cardiovascular services.
October—Consumer Reports lists Harrison HealthPartners Cardiothoracic Surgery among 50 of the country’s top-rated heart-bypass surgery groups.
June—Harrison opens the Heart & Vascular Center.
June—Harrison announces Vision 2015.
April—Harrison sponsors the Kitsap Soccer Club and Kitsap Pumas Youth Outreach.
March—Harrison launches website focusing on Oncology services.
February—Harrison sponsors Bremerton Olympian Bree Schaaf, who placed fifth in women’s bobsled.
January—Harrison receives Society of Thoracic Surgeons 3-star rating.
January—Harrison expands the Sleep Disorders Center to increase capacity and upgrade equipment.
October—Harrison launches an updated marketing campaign—Choose well.—which showcases cardiovascular, oncology, orthopedics, and women’s & children’s services to affirm Harrison as the provider of choice in the region.
July—Harrison HealthPartners Poulsbo Hematology & Oncology center begins serving patients with outpatient chemotherapy treatments and myriad other cancer-care services.
June—Harrison receives a Certificate of Need approval for a 92-bed expansion of the Silverdale campus.
April—The Harrison Belfair campus opens with 12-hour daily urgent care, primary care, and other outpatient services.
January—Harrison opens the newly expanded 70,000-square-foot Port Orchard campus, providing 24/7 urgent care, primary care, and other outpatient services.
Harrison Electronic Record & Orders (HERO) rolls out in major phases over a three-year period. This $30.5 million electronic medical record effort ushers in improved patient quality and safety standards at all Harrison campuses.
Harrison breaks ground on a 24-hour urgent care center at the Port Orchard campus with expanded imaging services, physician offices, and a host of outpatient services. The development represents phase two of a master plan for the Port Orchard campus that began in 1995. In a sell-and-lease partnership, Harrison sells the seven-acre campus and existing 33,000-square-foot building to Tim Ryan Properties LP, who will also own the new 36,000-square-foot facility.
Harrison finalizes an agreement with the new Public Hospital District No. 2 in Mason County to provide urgent and primary care services in Belfair.
Harrison purchases a da Vinci Surgical System and begins robotic surgery in Silverdale.
The master facilities plan begun in 2005 evolves to include an 80-bed expansion of the Silverdale campus, a 24-hour urgent care center at the Port Orchard campus, and urgent and primary care services to Belfair in Mason County.
Harrison’s cardiac surgery program is ranked No. 1 in Washington in an independent quality study sponsored by HealthGrades, placing Harrison in the top 10 percent of all hospitals nationally for cardiac surgery quality and outcomes.
A regional marketing campaign—I Choose Harrison—showcases cardiovascular, orthopedics, and oncology services to affirm Harrison as the provider of choice in the region.
Harrison is equipped to provide free wireless internet access at all three campuses.
Results of an employee engagement survey, conducted by the world-renowned Gallup Organization, qualify Harrison as a best-practice, mission-driven organization.
Harrison enlists Seattle architects NBBJ and Bremerton’s Rice Fergus Miller to create a master facilities plan, a comprehensive look at our facilities and how they must change to meet the community’s future healthcare needs.
Harrison changes its name to Harrison Medical Center, adopting a new mission (We make a difference in people’s lives through exceptional medical care.) and core values (Empathy, Innovation, and Accountability).
Vision 2010 is launched, a robust plan to transcend Harrison from a good hospital to a great one by devoting energy and resources in nine vital areas, including clinical excellence, customer service, expanded services, and financial performance.
First open-heart surgery takes place at Harrison’s main campus in East Bremerton, furthering the organization’s evolvement into a tertiary care center.
Harrison’s remodeled Emergency Services Department is opened
Harrison's South Kitsap Health Care Campus is opened
Harrison Auxiliary celebrates “golden year” 50th anniversary
Harrison Memorial Hospital gains cancer certification
Harrison Memorial Hospital Foundation gives way to Harrison Memorial Hospital and Kitsap Health Care Foundation (predecessor of Harrison Medical Center Foundation)
Addition of South Wing, including radiology, nuclear medicine, lab, emergency room, and ICU
Construction begins on Phase 1, including new surgical suite with two ORs for outpatient surgery
West Wing construction completed bringing bed total to 210
Medicare goes into effect
February 13, 1965
Harrison Memorial Hospital opens at 2520 Cherry Avenue. Cost of $3,175,000 and 150 beds
Groundbreaking for new hospital at 2520 Cherry Avenue
Puget Sound Chapter formed
Maurice S. Mathis Guild formed
May 23, 1961
Citizen campaign begins at Elks Temple to build new hospital. More than $600,000 pledged toward cost of construction and equipment
Angie Harrison dies at 97
August 15, 1956
Harrison Memorial Hospital merges with Puget Sound Naval Memorial Hospital at 6th Street & Marion. Name changed to Harrison Memorial Hospital Foundation to continue benefitting from Harrison bequest
August 13, 1948
March 20, 1948
Formal dedication of the hospital. Name changed to Puget Sound Naval Memorial Hospital in memory of those who had died in the war
May 1, 1947
Kitsap County Hospital Foundation takes over operation of the Roosevelt Hospital
Kitsap Physician Services (KPS) is created/sponsored by Kitsap County Medical Society
Benjamin Harrison Dies
Harrison Memorial Hospital begins operation at 8th Street and Chester Ave., Bremerton
New nonprofit corporation created as Harrison Memorial Hospital. Benjamin Harrison donates his holdings in Olympic Hospital to the new corporation, and Olympic Hospital is dissolved
Olympic Hospital gifted by Harrison to City of Bremerton, however the transaction prohibited by state law
Kitsap County Medical Society formed
City General Hospital changes name to Olympic Hospital
April 17, 1911
City of Bremerton Hospital formed
Nearly 400 physicians and 100 providers care for patients at Harrison.
Full- and part-time employees number more than 2,300, making it the largest private employer in Kitsap County.
Scott W. Bosch, president and CEO
Patty Cochrell, executive vice president and chief operations officer
David Veterane, chair, board of directors
Gordon Cromwell, MD, chief of staff
Glen Carlson, MD, assistant chief of staff
Harrison is accredited by The Joint Commission, which establishes standards—and reviews compliance—for U.S. hospitals. Harrison has been associated with The Joint Commission since 1972, with full accreditation. We view our participation in this demanding review process as part of our unwavering commitment to the highest standards in patient care.